This Is A Way To Never, Ever Get Poison Ivy Again

How To Never Ever Get Poison Ivy Again

Why is poison ivy the most detested plant whenever we think about plants for our own garden? The answer is simple. This plant is neither pretty, nor does it bear flowers that give out fragrance, nor does it bear juicy succulent fruit. Instead this is one plant that we all try and avoid when we are outdoors. This is because this plant causes itching and severe pain when we come in contact with it. It becomes a source of great discomfort when a rash breaks out. While some have a high tolerance level and can bear the discomfort, others might be very sensitive to the pain caused by poison ivy.

Dr. Jim Brauker is a scientist who has studied biomedical sciences for the past twenty five years. His area of specialization was skin inflammation. As a part of his study, he spent a considerable amount of time outdoors. Taking into account his area of study and his experiences outside, it is but sure that he would come in contact with poison ivy more than any of us. Due to his fair share of experience with this plant, he could come up with an intelligent and easy way of preventing poison oak and poison ivy rashes from occurring.

The moment you come in contact with a poison ivy and the itching begins, wash off the oil secreted by the plant with the help of soap and cold water. This must be done within two to eight hours of contact. The sooner you do it, the better it is for you. Use cold water, soap and a gentle washcloth to get rid of the oil called urushiol completely from your body. You can use soap of any brand and the wash cloth is used to create friction to get rid of the oil completely. Always keep one thing in mind: never use warm water to wash your hand as this will open up the skin pores, causing the urushiol to be soaked into the skin and thereby entering your system. This is one way in which Dr. Jim Brauker advises people to prevent rashes from happening due to contact with poison ivy.

You might be wondering, what use this information would be of to you? Well right now this piece of information may be of no use to you, but at some point when you are outdoors, this piece of information might come handy. It is always enjoyable to be amidst nature and embrace the beauty of nature. But rashes through poison ivy may be one hazard that might come in the way of your leisurely enjoyment. Thus it is always better to be prepared to take care of any unwanted situation.

Enjoy yourself in natural beauty and in case of any poison ivy, make sure you wash yourself well with soap and water and a gentle cloth.

8 Common Myths about Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac

You will find myths and fads about almost anything and everything. There are myths about food, about rituals and customs, about a certain community, and even about different countries and its culture. Why should plants be an exception? There are myths about different types of plants.

Poison Ivy is one plant that we all try to avoid due to the rashes that are caused by them. Here are a list of myths and truths about poison ivy, poison oak and sumac:

First myth-These are poisonous plants.

Truth: The poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac belong to the group of Toxicodendrons. This group of plants tend to secrete a kind of chemical that causes allergic reactions and rashes when it comes in contact with human system. In the very first contact the immune system of the human body get stimulated to adapt to these exposures in case it happens second time.

Second myth-One must come in direct contact with these plants to develop a rash.

Truth: It is a fact that for any kind of reaction to take place, the skin must directly come in contact with the juices that are secreted by these plants. However, if a person is extra sensitive than even an indirect passing on of these juices onto their skin can cause rashes.

Third myth-The rash is a feature of what is known as Toxicodendron dermatitis.

Truth: There is no particular feature for any eruption that happens. Allergic contact dermatitis caused by any other plant has no particular feature and can even look the same. However, the allergy caused by Toxicodendrons is called Toxicodendron dermatitis. The features of this kind of allergy is small blisters that are spread across the

skin in linear fashion and cause oozing when they burst.

Fourth myth-The juice that comes out from oozing can spread rashes to someone else.

Truth: The  transferring of the plant juice from one person to another can cause the rashes to spread from one person to another.

Fifth myth– Those who are allergic to Toxicodendrons usually are sensitive to other plants belonging to a similar botanical group.

Truth: This is once again a fact that juices from this group has a similar chemical composition and tend to react to juices from plants belonging to the Anacardiaceae group.

Sixth myth– The best way to desensitize an allergic person is by making them eat the leaves of the plant.

Truth: It is true that it is difficult to desensitize an individual who is allergic to this group, but consumption of the leaves can be of great help.

Seventh myth-There are many treatments to the eruption that can be done at homes itself.

Truth: You can use topical steroids for mild and local eruptions.

Eighth myth– there are creams that can be applied to prevent eruptions caused by these plants.

Truth:  in the 2001 issue of ‘Skin Therapy Letter’, there are two products mentioned  that can be used prior to being exposed to these plants to prevent the breakouts from taking place.

Share on Facebook