Many families are heading to the nearest lake, swimming pool, or beach to spend the day in the sun now that summer is here.
But parents need to stay alert in the midst of all the fun and noise because otherwise, things could get bad fast.
Things recently turned out poorly for a California 3-year-old named Leigh.
The little girl woke up with what appeared to be a serious sunburn on her face after a weekend in the sun with a lot of fun.
Now her mother warns other parents about a hazard rarely discussed.
You are constantly vigilant when it comes to keeping your kids safe when you are a parent.
Sharp corners or objects can be the worst nightmare for a parent, while daily household hazards such as iron, knives, and chemicals are usually far beyond the reach of a child.
Unfortunately, it’s a harsh reality that we can’t literally safeguard them from everything, as much as we’d like to.
Sometimes we don’t even understand the prospective risks out there and that was definitely the case for one mother from California who went camping, swimming and playing with her daughter in the sun during an early weekend in June.
But when the family came home, the daughter of Sabrina Miller woke up with burns on her skin.
The worried mother took her daughter to the doctor right away, but she wasn’t getting the assistance she required. According to Sabrina, the doctor did not take the burns seriously.
Sabrina was sent back with lotion to soothe the skin of the 3-year-old with her daughter, Leigh.
The little girl suffered even more, unfortunately.
When Leigh woke up the next morning, her face broke out in what looked like second-degree burns in blisters.
“She’s like, ‘Why is this happening to me?’” Sabrina said, according to Inside Edition.
Sabrina took her daughter to a dermatologist – the panicked mother knew something was very wrong.
“I was just kind of traumatized, I was like, crying my eyes out, [wondering], ‘What is going on with her?’” the mom said.
The dermatologist had one question for Sabrina: Did her daughter had any contact with any citrus fruits while in the sun?
“We’re like yeah, she loves limes,” Sabrina told the doctor.
Then the doctor advised her about a syndrome called Phytophotodermatitis or “margarita burn.” Limestone juice and oil contain chemicals called photosensitizers that can render the skin extra-sensitive to sunlight.
Phytophotodermatitis is a phototoxic response that creates blisters that are irregular and itchy. Within 24 hours of exposure, it begins to develop.
“It only develops in areas where the chemical touches the skin, explaining odd shapes like streaks or dots where lime juice may have dripped down the skin or splashed,” Joshua Zeichner, medical director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, told Prevention.
“The initial rash is fiery red and it often heals with a dark brown black,” Zeichner added.
Unfortunately, there is no method to prevent or ease the “margarita burn” once it has set in.
It may take weeks before the wounds and blisters heal, but the positive thing is that there is typically no permanent scarring.
Sabrina’s daughter finally got the treatment she needed. The dermatologist popped the blisters and put a dressing on.